Thursday, August 9, 2012

Talkative Thursday #2 - School


So I thought I would try to be a little “talkative” today along with my new blog pal, Sandra.  I have actually had a lot of anxious thoughts on my mind lately.  Work has been crazy, and my summer (which I really didn’t get much of with school and work) is coming to an end.  In a few weeks, three of the four people in our house will be going to school.  I start back in a little over a week for my last year as a law student – God willing!  Evan starts the big K and is so excited although he has no idea about the changes to his schedule that are about to ensue.  Brody is also beginning school.  That’s right, my little 15 month old is starting preschool.  We loved Evan’s preschool so much last year that we decided to sign Brody up to start in the one year old room.  Evan actually started going to daycare/preschool at about the same age when I went back to work after he was born, and I really think that early socialization was so good for him.  He can be a little shy and reserved like his mother so he needed that push to meet other kids and make friends.  Brody has been a little slower on the talking so I hope preschool and the influence of other adults besides his parents will be good for him too.  I just hope he doesn’t get in trouble for biting anyone!  Yikes!  That’s all I need is to be known as the mother of the biter.  Haha!  He is such a sweet little person, and I just hope that others will be able to appreciate it. 

One of the most anxiety inducing parts of this whole school thing is the change in routine.  It is one thing for me to have to change my routine but changing the routine of a 5 and 1 year old at the same time is probably not going to be pretty. 

Evan’s school is going to start at 7:45 a.m. so his day is going to go something like this:

6:30 a.m. – Wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth
7:30 a.m. – Mommy or Daddy takes him to school
7:45 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. – A long tiring day at school filling his little noggin’ with lots of useful information
2:30 p.m. – Nanny picks him up from school
3:00 p.m. – Snack or do homework
3:30 p.m. – Nap
5:00 p.m. – Daddy gets home and cooks dinner.  Evan may work on homework during this time if he has any.
6:00 p.m. – Eat dinner and clean up
7:30 p.m. – Bath
8:30 p.m. – Bed
*The only good thing about this crazy busy schedule is that he won't have too much free time for Wii playing.  He is a little addicted so I hope Wii will become just a fun treat that he gets to do on weekends and holidays instead of every day of his life.  Ha!

Brody will attend school Monday, Wednesday and Friday so his days will look something like this: 

7:00 a.m. – Wake up, get dressed, brush teeth, eat breakfast (Mommy is also getting ready during this time)
8:45 a.m. – Mommy takes him to school on her way to work
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – A long tiring day at school playing and learning and eating lunch
  • Note – he has been used to getting a mid-morning nap so I don’t know how that’s going to work here.
12:30 p.m. – Nanny picks him up from school and takes him home
12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Play, Eat Snack, or take a short nap
2:30 p.m. – Ride with nanny to pick Evan up from school
3:00 p.m. – Nap or Play
5:00 p.m. – Daddy gets home and cooks dinner.  Brody will probably play on the floor around Daddy’s feet.
6:00 p.m. – Eat dinner and clean up
7:30 p.m. – Bath
8:30 p.m. – Bed

Sherry’s Schedule:

6:30 a.m. – Wake up, Shower, Get Dressed, etc.
7:00 a.m. – Help get the boys up and dressed and fed breakfast
8:45 a.m. – Mommy takes Brody to school and goes to work.
9:15 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. – a long tiring day at work; squeeze in a 30 minute lunch break
5:30 p.m. – eat a quick snack-like dinner before going to class
6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Mon., Tuesday & Thurs.) – School
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (Wed.) – School
8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. – Get home and prepare for bed.  Hope that my boys did not go to sleep at their appointed bedtimes so I can at least kiss and hug them goodnight! 

Let the fun begin!  Ugh!!!



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Did you feel better typing that list out? I always feel better when I take a plan and get it down on paper. I have lists and schedules for at least the next 4 years. Mostly what days I will work in the week and who will be with the kids when I am working.

    You will have to let me know how the early mornings go with Evan. It's what I fear most about kindergarten. Luckily you get to be the tester and get a year's worth of data before I have to do it next year!

    I also am hoping that starting kindergarten can help break some of the TV watching that Spencer does. I was really good about keeping his TV watching to a minimum (Like 1/2 an hour most days and 1 hour like once a week) until Elliott was born. Now he watches way, way, way too much TV. And it's totally my fault and I don't know how to change it because Elliott still takes so much of my time where I don't know what to do with Spencer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it totally did make me feel a little better. Yes, the early mornings are definitely one of my biggest concerns. I am not a great morning person either and wait until the last possible minute to get up and get ready. Evan has been sleeping until after 8:00 most mornings this summer so I know the first couple of weeks is going to be painful. Oh Evan watches way too much TV so between wii playing and that you'd think his brain would be mush already. Ha! He learns a lot from the educational shows he watches though so I convince myself that it isn't all bad. Don't beat yourself up about the TV watching. It is too hot to play outside, and there is only so much indoor entertainment you can do. I encourage Evan to do a daily lesson plan that he actually enjoys (I'm not here so this is a nanny duty), and he also loves coloring, doing puzzles, and playing ball of some kind. Yes, sometimes he practices soccer in the house because the heat and mosquitoes outside are too much! ;-)

      Delete
    2. And yes, I have insomnia from all this worrying! *Sigh* That's just making it all worse, I know!

      Delete
  2. Rachel has no words yet either. Since Sam was such a talker it's strange to have a non-talker. And I will be thinking of you this fall as your family adjusts to this schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel so much better, Natasha, that Brody isn't the only toddler not using his words. I guess it is that second child syndrome, huh? Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for us!

      Delete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails