Sunday, September 23, 2012

More DIY - Chair Dress Up

We bought our table and chairs in 2005 for our informal eat-in kitchen in our first house.  We didn't have a formal dining space and still don't think we'd use one if we did have it.  One day when the kids are older and I might want to do more adult entertaining maybe, but for now, our one dining space is enough.  I might be in the market for some stools for our kitchen counter as the kids get older to make more use of that space but haven't really seen the need yet.  We wanted our first table to be sturdy enough for our family's main eating and gathering activities and to be big enough as our family grew.  We chose a rectangular table with six chairs for that reason.  Luckily the table fit well in our current house as well.  The chairs had basic white/light beige padded seats so we always thought we would like to cover them in a pretty or fun fabric but had just never gotten around to the task.  Our current dining space was already painted a deep wine-red color so we have just worked with that color.  It compliments our other furniture well.  We chose a coordinating color for the fabric for the chairs when we purchased the fabric for our fabric headboard.  Despite a very busy day of activities yesterday, Eddie squeezed in time to tackle the chair project.  It was pretty easy although a little time consuming.

Photobucket
Before

Step One:  Remove the chair cushion from the chair.  Cut the fabric to the size needed for the chair cushion while making sure the pattern of the fabric stays straight.

Photobucket

Step Two:  Staple the fabric at the bottom of the seat cushion.  Make sure fabric is pulled tight with no wrinkles and that fabric's pattern is straight before attaching.

Photobucket
Eddie did an expert job attaching the fabric. 

Step Three:  Re-attach the seat cushion to the chair and ooo and ahhh!

Photobucket
Have a seat and enjoy the fruit of your labors.

Step Four:  Repeat six times or for however many chairs you have.

I think I need to come up with more DIY projects for my handy man.  He really enjoys these tasks!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I love that fabric. Very pretty!

    We bought a new kitchen table set when we moved into our house in 2006. Michael's parents bought us a dining room set. We use both pretty frequently. Our kitchen table set came with cushioned chairs and after we bought them my mom said I would regret that decision for a long time because cushioned chairs and kids don't mix. I thought she was crazy. Until Spencer was 18 months old, refused to sit in his high chair and moved to a booster on the chair. Then, and only then, did I recognize that my mother was totally right. So now Spencer had a big, thick towel under him at the kitchen table!

    What a long and boring story. Sorry I hijacked your comments with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean! Two of our chairs are always covered with big towels so you want see the fabric under them. I never did a big high chair because it just took up too much space in our small house. Evan always sat well in the booster seat and so does Brody. It is also portable when we ever need to take it with us somewhere although we usually don't. Those chairs seriously needed some love though, huh? :-)

      Delete
  2. Once in awhile I can't see the photos on one of your posts and this seems to be one of them. Sadness as I can't see your awesome job. Maybe one of these days the pictures will work for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, try again later, Natasha! I think it is just that I post a ton of pictures on here so sometimes it might cause problems with loading and internet connection. Although our dining table and chairs aren't fancy, I think it was a big improvement for sure.

      Delete
    2. I can finally see the pictures! Yay! And they really do look awesome. I love that fabric.

      Delete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails