Monday, September 17, 2012

DIY Projects

I don't consider myself a DIYer.  I mean I like pinterest, and I have made a few crafty projects in my day.  Most of my craft projects have involved scrapbooking or creating projects for my kids' rooms.  I haven't really put that much effort into other areas of my home.  Since I got a new bed for my birthday, my husband promised to make me a new upholstered headboard.  I just had to pick out the fabric.  I was pretty excited. We had picked out a simple white duvet cover with a little bit of gray embroidery so I wanted the headboard to really make a statement in the room.  Our room is painted mostly a creamy beige color (it was painted that when we moved in).  It does have one accent wall painted a light blue (we did paint that wall because it was previously a very bright pink).  We found out that a fabric store in our area, Hancock Fabrics, was having a big sale this weekend so we headed over to see if we could snag some lovely fabric for our headboard.  Lucky us, upholstery fabric was 50% off so we got over $120.00 in fabrics and batting for $60.00.  It didn't actually take me long to find the fabric of choice, but I had already limited the color scheme since we weren't looking to repaint our bedroom any time soon.  I also found some fabric to recover my boring beige dining chairs.  That's a project I've been meaning to do for years.  We were pretty pleased with our purchases, and Eddie was excited to get home and start working.  He made a run to Lowe's to pick up the other materials while I tried to get Brody to rest (no that didn't work out too well).  My husband returned and quickly determined that this was not a one-man job so he needed my help.

Step 1:

Photobucket
Laying out the wood.  We measured the headboard a couple of inches wider than our bed on each side so there would be some overhang. 

Step 2:
Photobucket
The husband using the nail gun to attach the fabric and batting to the boards.  We actually recycled our old memory foam mattress topper and used it as the foam filler on the headboard.  It worked very well and is so soft!  
Step 3: 
Photobucket
Checking out our progress and making sure the fabric is pulled tight before proceeding with the bottom and sides.    Yes, we had two little "helpers." 
Step 4:  

Photobucket
Hanging the headboard was the biggest pain of the project.  It was quite heavy and getting the brackets even so the whole thing would hang level was tricky.  

Photobucket
But I think we did pretty good!  I am very OCD and this was good enough for me.

Photobucket
We must have been pretty confident in our hanging job as we let this little guy lay under it. 
Step 5:  

Photobucket
Sliding the bed back into place and oooing and ahhhing! 
Stay tuned for more DIY projects as we tackle our dining chairs and another project for our comfy nest.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. It looks awesome. I really like the fabric you picked. I have always wanted to make my own headboard and I think I actually finally found the one we'll do after we move. I just pinned it a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must do a post when you get it done. Of course, you better keep us "posted" about the whole house searching, buying, and moving process. Hehe! Is it the stained wood board one? That one looks cool as does the curtain rod one. Yep, I snuck over to your pinterest site. You have great taste, lady! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh and pay no attention to those short curtains. Ugh! They came with the house, and I haven't wanted to replace them while we were just renting. I'm thinking that I may just have to do something now though. They are nice for privacy but that's about it.

      Delete
  2. I love that new headboard. It looks very elegant and amazing! And what a great find on the fabric deal too. I can't believe you did it yourself and, of course, your post makes it look super-easy so now I want one :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails