Saturday, July 28, 2012

2012 Olympics London

We were excited to watch last night's Opening Ceremonies in London.  This is the first games that Evan is really old enough to enjoy watching, and I knew he would love watching the Opening Ceremonies show.  To make it special, we decided to get some yummy Krispy Kreme (if you don't know about Krispy Kreme, I am sorry.  They make the best doughnuts on the planet, but you absolutely must get them when the "Hot" sign is on.  So warm and delicious and melt-in-your-mouth good!) and make our own Olympic rings.  It was cute and yummy too.  I don't know what other people were expecting when they say they were disappointed  in the show.  Every country is different, and their show is supposed to reflect their country, heritage, etc.  I thought this one did a fine job...except maybe the music because they didn't really seem to play a lot of "British" music.  I did like the Mary Poppins reference and the Queen "flying" with James Bond via helicopter and then parachuting down into the stadium.  Ha!  Like an 80 something year old woman is going to ride in a helicopter and go parachuting and walk into the stadium in her therapeutic shoes not even out of breath.  I do think she is an incredible lady to have represented her country with so much dignity for so many years and am glad she got to see another Olympic games in her country during her long reign.  All in all, it was a good show, and we enjoyed watching it together!  Of course, the boys did not stay up to watch Team U.S.A. enter the stadium, but we are rooting for them to bring home lots of gold!

Photobucket
Our view of the games.

Photobucket
Our Olympic "doughnut" rings.
Photobucket
Evan proudly showing off his Olympic rings.

Photobucket
Brody had a front row seat.

Oh and Evan announced tonight that he wanted to be in the Olympics one day.  I asked him what event/sport he wanted to play, and he said volleyball.  I don't know where that came from.  Haha!

GO TEAM U.S.A.!

6 comments:

  1. So fun! We had Krispy Kreme while watching the opening ceremonies, too! I'm with ya - I feel sorry for those who have never experienced a hot KK!

    It sounds like the only difference in our experiences is that Ethan DID stay up through the whole thing ... and then slept until 10:00 the next morning! :)

    Enjoy the games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's funny that you had the same idea to eat doughnuts while watching. All 3 of my men fell asleep before we had gotten through the C's. I stayed awake but wasn't really watching.

      Delete
  2. This is just so great. I would have never in a million years thought to use doughnuts for the Olympic rings!!! I can't wait to see Evan in the 2020? Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It'll either be volleyball or ping pong apparently. He also likes ping pong! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome idea for the donut Olympic rings. I have made no Olympic themed food and can't say that I have any plans to do so. Ha!

    Spencer is also really into the Olympics right now. He too wants to be an Olympic athlete in the future. He has picked gymnastics though. He did a head stand last night and made me hold his legs up to show that he could qualify for the team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Make"? Haha! That's a good one. I took the doughnuts out of the box and put them on a plate. I am such a great chef! Hehe! Yeah, Spencer is apparently slightly more ambitious than Evan. Evan also liked ping pong. I love watching gymnastics...it's my fav! I'll love watching Spencer on there in a few years. ;-)

      Delete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails