Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Pumpkin Mountain

We love our annual tradition of going to the "pumpkin patch."  Last year, Evan and I got to go together to one with his preschool class, and I just loved that memory with him.  We usually go to some kind of farm in the fall where we pick out pumpkins.  They aren't usually in the field though, but we enjoy doing the extra stuff like corn mazes, feeding the animals (yes, we are very careful about washing hands afterwards because with a thumb sucker it is especially important...several children in our state this year have been stricken and died from E. Coli from such petting zoos), hayrides, etc.  However, this was not that trip although we still plan to do this at some point in the near future.  Evan had been begging to stop and see some pumpkins as we pass several pumpkin stands around our town.  After church and lunch this past Sunday, we stopped at one of these nice places that had a ton of pumpkins (big, small, orange, white, bumpy, and almost any kind you can think of).  They also had some beautiful chrysanthemums for only $6.00 for a large plant.  I bought two of these and two little pumpkins for each of my little pumpkins.  We'll get big pumpkins to carve soon, but we don't usually buy those from these places since they charge by the pound and can be pretty pricey for a nice sized one.  Anyway, my brother was a single dad for the weekend while his wife was away so he and his kids joined us for this brief trip.  His youngest, little Cate, was actually asleep so he stayed by the car while the older kids ran around.  We'll definitely have to go back when she's awake so she can enjoy the pumpkin experience too.

Photobucket
Mr. Simpson sells pumpkins in the Fall and Christmas trees in the winter.  We bought our first tree here in Charlotte when we moved here in 2007.  That was Evan's first Christmas. 

Photobucket
I love those little pumpkins!

Photobucket
Sweet boy posing for some pictures for us.  I love these little madras overalls that are 2T in size so hopefully they will last him awhile.  I picked them up while we were at the beach at the Hartstrings outlet store.  

Photobucket
Hi, cutie!

Photobucket
Evan and his best buddy, Lanny, enjoying the pumpkins. 

Photobucket
Pretty Miss Emma

Photobucket
Handsome Mr. Reade picks a flower for someone...probably one of his sisters or his mommy!  

Photobucket
Sweet Miss Emma taking care of her little cousin. 

Photobucket
What a big boy he is this year! 

Photobucket
I do love that grin!  I had to threaten to tickle him to get it. 

Photobucket
I think he is officially my blond haired baby now -- a big change from the dark haired baby he used to be.

Photobucket
My pumpkins surrounded by pumpkins.  Doesn't this look like one of those fake fall backgrounds they have at portrait studios?  Haha!  The pile was real and was pretty big!

Photobucket
Sweet brothers making memories together. 

Photobucket
So happy!

Photobucket
He only had a little issue when he tried to figure out how to get himself out of the pumpkins.  

Photobucket
But Mommy helped him out. 

Photobucket
Stinker face!

Photobucket
He's on top of the world...or just a pretty big mountain of pumpkins!

Photobucket
I don't know what this face was about, but it looked sassy!

Photobucket
Love you, Stinker Winker!

Photobucket
This was our celebrity sighting of the day.  The red arrow is pointing to Ric "Nature Boy" Flair, a world championship wrestler and Charlotte native.  He was apparently visiting the pumpkin stand with his children and grandchildren.  I promise I did not disturb them to get this picture.  I was sneaking around the corner of this building being very covert.  ;-) 

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures! Brody is SO SASSY in that one. He's got the sassy face and the hand on the hip. Attitude! Ha ha ha!

    I have never heard of that wrestler. That's very cool for you though. I love celebrity sightnings. I saw Jerry Springer in London once. On a double decker bus. It was very weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I guess they aren't big on professional wrestling in Arizona? ;-) My old high school boyfriend was (and still is) very into wrestling so he taught me a lot. My brother recognized Mr. Flair because he was kind of an icon in the 80's when we were kids. You can tell he probably isn't doing much wrestling anymore. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sam was sitting on my lap while I looked at this post and his first comment was, "Hey! They are looking at pumpkins just like we were looking at pumpkins!" I love how some of these experiences are the same wherever you live. Also, Sam thinks Evan looks like him! And I LOVE Brody's overalls. So very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love traditions that span cultures and continents. Pumpkins are so fun. I wish I had time for baking so I could make my boys a pumpkin pie. Brody is "learning" the color orange at school so he is pointing to everything orange he sees...not saying it though. Ha! And yes, Sam, I see a lot of similarities there...you both are so smart!

      Delete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails