Friday, June 29, 2012

SUYL: Kids' Rooms

I'm linking up with Kelly this week because they're sharing my absolute favorite rooms...kids' rooms!  I admit I haven't put a ton into designing the rest of my house.  It is just a hodge podge of what makes us comfortable and is mostly decorated in warm earthy tones.  Actually, when you walk in our house you instantly know we have kids because our "formal" living and dining spaces are used as a playroom....I think it is much more used space and just makes me happy to sit and watch my kids playing.  But I love decorating rooms for my kids.

Room #1:

When Evan was three, I re-did his big boy room and chose a space theme that will hopefully grow with him.  Although the kids have a playroom, he plays more in his room now, and we keep his big boy toys in there away from his little brother.  I tried to use a more grown up style in the room so that with just some minimal touches, it could grow with him into the teen years.

Photobucket
Bedding is a quilt style from Target.  I did let him have his beloved Star Wars sheets from Pottery Barn, but I love Target's kids' bedding.  I made his name art for his nursery.  The pictures on the wall are actual photographs from NASA's website that I had printed and then framed.  The frames were actually unfinished from the dollar store (can't beat a dollar a piece) that we spray painted white.  His bed frame was actually his convertible crib.  All the furniture in his room transitioned from his nursery.  Yes, we painted the stripes...that was fun!

Photobucket
I actually hated that this red wall shelf was not centered over the little dresser (formerly the changing table), but hesitated moving it when we re-did his room because I hated having to put more holes in the wall.  His dresser now has the addition of several trophies from sports.  

Photobucket
Amoire and bookcase transitioned from nursery and came from Target.  One year frame is from Pottery Barn Kids.  Curtains are also from Target.  Almost the entire room was from Target...our favorite store!


Room #2:

When Brody came along, I was so excited to do another nursery.  I don't mind that he was another boy; I love boy stuff!  I guess I was made to be a mom of boys.  I wanted a less "themey" and more classic style to his nursery which would also double as a guest bedroom.  We already had a dresser and double bed in the room, but it was painted an antique white with brass and gold accents and just would not do for a boy.  It needed updating.  The bed used to be a four post bed, but we took those off and just added some simple finials to the posts.  Then, we painted the furniture a crisp white and updated the hardware with a sleek nickel finish.  Well, my husband did this work since I was prego at the time.  I still love just lying on the big white bed in the nursery and looking at my precious baby's pictures on the wall.  I hope he never outgrows his room!

Photobucket
Love the sweetness of this light blue and white classic nursery.  Beautiful framed pictures of our newborn and a large version of his birth announcement; white curtains from Target; a special teddy bear made by his big brother; and a special blanket from a friend with his name and birth stats embroidered on it. 

Photobucket
Dresser turned changing table with a sweet handmade ribbon mobile above made by Mommy.  Mirror was an oldie that we painted white. 

Photobucket
His Pottery Barn one year frame and a sweet decal on the wall that is hard to read in this picture.

Photobucket
A closer picture of the decal.  I love these special words!

Photobucket
A special piece of name art made with an Etsy decal placed on a canvas with plexiglass attached hanging over his crib.  The crib bedding was a sweet, simple set that we found on sale at Pottery Barn Kids.  
If you have a special kids' room to share, hop on over to Kelly's Korner and link up!

2 comments:

  1. What great rooms! I love the space theme. Such a cool idea to use actual NASA photos.

    I also feel like I was meant to be the mom of boys. I don't mind 1 bit not having a girl. The idea actually makes me really nervous. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the framed NASA space pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails