Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 11, 2013 ~ 12 Years Later




I actually really hate that I did not write anything yesterday to remember the events of that fateful day.  I think it is important that none of us forget that day because it was a day that truly brought our country together as one.  Sometimes, I am afraid that many of us are forgetting that unity as we concentrate on our differing opinions over today’s issues.  On that day, we watched our brothers and sisters who survived the catastrophes of that horrendous attack, we comforted those who lost loved ones, we cared for those who sustained injuries, and we all prayed as one nation and felt a connection to one another that I would argue has never before been felt by such a large mass of people in human history.  Maybe we felt it after Pearl Harbor to some degree, but I am not sure it was on the same level.  Of course, I wasn’t alive during Pearl Harbor and only know from our history books about the events of that day, but that seemed like such a concentrated military type of attack whereas the attacks of 9/11/01 attacked the very heart of our nation in Washington, D.C. and New York City.  We also felt immense pride at seeing so many heroes immerge on that day.  These weren’t military heroes.  They were normal people going about the events of their normal everyday lives, but when they were put to the test whether it was in towering office buildings or on planes being used as weapons of mass destruction, they exhibited such tremendous acts of courage and bravery.  They sacrificed themselves to save others.  To me, that is the closest thing I have personally witnessed to a picture of God, the loving God who exhibits self-sacrificial love.  Does it really take a catastrophe to bring out such good in us?  To cause us to put aside our self-pride and differences and come together and show love for one another?  I really wish the answer was no.  I wish we could find a way to exhibit this same kind of love without so many having to suffer and die.  These are just the thoughts that I ponder when I think back and remember the events of 9/11/01.  What are your thoughts? 


 photo namebutton_zps1d38d77c.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I wish we could find a way to feel the unity of those days there after without something so horrible happening. I will always remember that day and what happened in Libya a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just always think of all the parents who were left to raise their children alone. Especially the moms who gave birth post-9/11. They had such strength to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails