Thursday, September 26, 2013

Prayer is Comforting


I feel like I never have enough time to devote to prayer.  I have felt an overwhelming need to read, read, read comforting words that just seem to bring me so much peace and hope.  Sometimes, I think we can just feel like we are drowning in “bad news” these days.  There is always something terrible on the news.  I try to read words that uplift me during my day, including blogs like my pastor’s and others that have messages of hope.  I also decided that I needed to download an app for my phone since I am always on the go so that I could read a little inspiring message every day.  Today’s message just spoke to my overwhelming need for comfort. 

“Then he said to them, ‘My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.  Stay here and keep watch with me.’  Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will.’  Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping.  ‘Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?’  he asked Peter.  ‘Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.’”
Matthew 26:  38-41


Of course, these words were from Jesus just before His crucifixion.  Can you imagine the fear he must have felt knowing what fate was before him?  He knew that in this time of his greatest fear and sorrow, that the greatest comfort available to him was prayer.  Prayer is like picking up the telephone and having an intimate conversation with your very best friend.  It lifts you up because you know you are speaking to someone who loves you dearly.  Why was Jesus disappointed in his earthly friends because they fell asleep instead of staying awake with him and praying?  Jesus wanted them to experience the love of their greatest friend to the fullest.  He knew that a dark fate was awaiting them all in the days ahead and that they would need God’s comforting love more than ever.  He wanted them to understand that they too could have the same intimate relationship with God that he had.  There is no time in my life when I have felt closer to God than in those quiet moments alone when I just wrestle and talk with God in my heart and mind.  Those are the moments when I have heard the gentle whisper of God’s message getting to me in the clearest way.  Those are the moments when the tears can flow freely without feeling like someone may be watching and may not understand why I am crying.   I just needed this reminder that I need to “pick up the phone” more and talk to God about my sorrows because he does care!  

 photo nametab_zps32a557cc.jpg

2 comments:

  1. How true! I have been guilty lately of letting my prayer life slip. But, you are so right, it is like picking up a phone and hearing from your best friend. God really does care about our troubles and it is so important to tell Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your analogy of picking up the phone. I need to do that more because God is always waiting on the other end for me to call.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails