Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Lessons: And it was very good!


Today's church message was just so beautiful and powerful.  I always love the story of the creation.  So many in this world still question how this world came to be and where we all came from.  I don't question that.  The answer is always right there in front of me and all around me.  It is as clear as the words on this screen or the smiles on my children's faces.  I could never even imagine believing that this world just came from some chaotic primordial oozing mess.  There is just too much sense and order.  It was obviously orchestrated by SOMEONE with a lot of love and care.  Who could have that much love?  Obviously, someone a lot greater than myself.  However, I believe He imparted a wonderful part of himself into each and every one of us, His creatures.  Our pastor pointed out today that the magic of Genesis 1 is the use of the word creation, or the Hebrew word "bara" which means to create something out of nothing.  In all other places in the Bible, the word "asah" is used to mean to make something.  "Bara" was deliberately used to describe how God created the heavens and the earth, the sea creatures and birds, and finally people.  After creating all of this from nothing, God looked at it and said "it was very good."  (Genesis 1:31).  God intended His creation to be very good, and it was.  It was perfect.  Death, sickness, pain, and chaos were not a part of His created order.  In His infinite love, He knew that if He created man and woman "in his image," they must be different than all of the rest of His creation.  We must be allowed to choose to love and be loved in order to be "like God."  God gave us that special gift of freedom to choose.  He blessed us uniquely with this gift.  He knew that we would either choose to follow His wisdom, or we would seek to follow our own.  Of course, He knew the consequences we would face for following our own wisdom instead of His.  We would get into trouble.  We would bring chaos to His orderly world.  The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was the epitome of that choice.  If we chose to eat of this tree so that we could find our own "wisdom," we would have to face the consequences.  Should God have given us this choice in his infinite wisdom obviously knowing we would fail?  As a parent, I think He had to if He truly wanted "children" and not just more "pets."  I teach my children right from wrong because I want what is best for them.  Do I think this will protect them or keep them from ever straying from what I have taught them?  They will have to go out into this world on their own, and they will have to make their own choices.  I won't always like what they choose. They will get hurt starting with burned fingers on hot stoves or cut or scraped knees from falls or other bumps and bruises.  Later, it will likely be car accidents,broken hearts, or other catastrophes.  Should I lock them away in their rooms forever never to be set free to live their lives?  Of course not!  They will make mistakes and they will stumble, but they will learn and grow and make their place in this world.  If they choose to follow God's wisdom, He will use them for His wonderful plan.  I hope and pray they do!  But bad things will happen to them.  It is the price we pay for the choices we all make.  I'm not saying we all deserve death.  God did not want any of us to die.  He wants to save us from that ultimate final judgment.  That is why He sent His Son in human form to be born in a lowly stable to die a cruel and horrendous death and to conquer death so that we don't have to face our ultimate fate.  To me, if you choose to seek your own wisdom or the wisdom of the world, you will always be seeking, and you will always have questions.  I have no such questions anymore because God is the only answer.  I know who I am and where I came from because of Him.  I hope you all find the answer and the peace that only comes in knowing Him!

We sang this beautiful song by Chris Tomlin in worship today, and I just love it.

Whom Shall I fear? 
I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies is always by my side!
The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies is always by my side!




Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful.
    I wanted to let you know personally how much I appreciate your comments on my blog during this difficult time. And I also appreciate that you care about me. It means so much to me.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Jessica! It is great getting to know you on here! :-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful and powerful message. I love that God refers to me as His child. I never thought about it the way you put it....we are not his pets, we are His children. Thank you for posting such a wonderful message of love, hope, and freedom.

    LOVE Chris Tomlin!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love these kinds of messages. We hear them a lot at our church here. Our pastor is just such a wise leader and great example. He has been at our church for over 30 years so that says a lot about his ability to lead. The church continues to grow and does amazing things for the community and around the world. He also gave the benediction at our new governor's inauguration last week. And don't you just love that song? Amazing! :-)

      Delete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails