Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Summer Fun # 9 ~ Sparkler Fun!

I don't know about you all, but I have always been curious about how you take those neat pictures where you write words with sparklers.  It looked like it must be so complicated.  Luckily, thanks to Pinterest, I found out it could actually be quite simple with the right camera.  If your camera is like ours, it will have a setting under manual mode where you change the shutter speed.  If you want to take pictures of fast action shots like sports, you will want a fast shutter speed.  If you want those cool pictures of running water and waterfalls where the water just looks smooth, you want a slower shutter speed.  Apparently, you also want a slow shutter speed for cool fireworks pictures too.  If you go down as low as you can on the shutter speed option, you will get to a setting called "BULB."  I don't really understand it, but that's where you need to be for these cool sparkler pictures.  When you want to photograph someone writing a word with a sparkler, you press and hold the shutter button until the person finishes writing the word.  And viola, when you release the shutter button, the word will magically and beautifully appear on your screen!  For a more detailed explanation, you can check out this pin.  Here's what we captured on our first try:

 photo sparklers1_zps4202f8c5.jpg
Just some fun squiggles to start with.  Brody was back there behind me so I was a little nervous about him getting too close.

 photo sparklers2_zps2a644e43.jpg
Some more fancy swirls.

 photo sparklers3_zps553a457b.jpg
Then, I wrote Evan's name.  His was the easiest.  I actually wrote his name from left to right for me, but it was backwards on the camera.  No problem.  I just reversed it on the computer.  

 photo sparklers7_zps8a2684e5.jpg
Then, I captured Brody's name.  I do love the way their names look written in the night sky. 

 photo sparklers8_zps69952871.jpg
And of course, Mattie's name.  Her's was probably the hardest to write.  Crossing t's and dotting i's can be tricky.  

 photo sparklers4_zps7e83891b.jpg
For some reason, I could never get my "love" to show up well so Eddie did this one.  I actually did the heart though so I joined them together.  

 photo sparklers6_zpsef2317b1.jpg
Brody and Evan made some squiggles together.  Brody is on the left, and Evan is on the right. 
I am so glad we are finally learning some valuable photography lessons with our camera.  I really want to go visit some waterfalls now and see if we can get some of those cool shots!

 photo nametab_zps32a557cc.jpg

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I love it when people go the extra mile to do something fun and unique! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool. You are inspiring me to learn more about my camera! Most of my good pictures are just dumb luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so, SO cool! I'm excited that you are getting more into these neat little photography tips and tricks, because I like reading about them and seeing the pictures.

    You know Mattie and Natalie and very similar, letter wise. I never thought about it until I saw her lovely name in sparklers. It looks very Disney princess for your little princess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails