Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Fun # 5 ~ Science and Art Project

Trying to entertain two boys without relying too much on television and technology has been a challenge.  I decided to try this little "science" experiment from Pinterest with them one morning.  I gave Evan a little lesson on acids and bases and how they react together and then let him see for himself.  Basically, you just put some food coloring in vinegar and then use droppers to put the vinegar into the baking soda and create colorful fizzy art.  Unfortunately, I only had enough baking soda for one dish so they had to share.  I will have to let them do this again one day because they really had a lot of fun.

 photo science1_zpsde4b79cd.jpg
They used medicine droppers to drop in the vinegar.  

 photo science2_zpsb4f980e7.jpg
Starting to look like a colorful piece of art already.

 photo science3_zpsc118eade.jpg
Making green fizz.

 photo science4_zps133553a3.jpg
Someone got a little happy with the red.  After this, Evan decided to pretend the green and blue was earth and water, and the red was volcano lava that was spreading.  Reminds me of how he used to re-enact volcano eruptions in his sandbox with the dinosaurs. 

 photo science5_zpsc323aacc.jpg
Brody the volcano adds more lava.

 photo science6_zps32a52989.jpg
My little scientists hard at work.

 photo science7_zps2f779ad9.jpg
Evan tries to put out the fires of the lava with some blue water.

 photo science8_zps26e6c68a.jpg
Eventually, we just added all the vinegar and watched the last of the baking soda dissolve into fizz.  I guess this is what land looks like after the volcano turns everything to black volcanic ash still steaming with heat. 

 photo science9_zps12c1609d.jpg
We also discovered it makes some pretty noxious gaseous fumes.  Ha!

So have you tried any interesting science or art projects with your kids that you could recommend to us?

 photo nametab_zps32a557cc.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I thought I posted a comment, but I guess it didn't go through. If I post the same thing twice, please forgive me. =) I really love this project. Looks like a lot of fun! We'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made our summer bucket list this morning and this one is on it. You should check out my "Sum-Sum-Summertime" board on Pinterest because I pinned a lot of stuff like this. Fun art projects or cool crafts to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! I've been wanting to do this project too. We're making bird feeders tomorrow and writing birthday messages to a friend on Thursday. Maybe Friday we'll do this.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails