Saturday, June 21, 2014

Celebrating Our Daddy

We just love celebrating our wonderful daddy any way we can.  Of course, the boys and I think he is the best.  This article from the Huffington Post from Father's Day was so right when it said that most media portrayal of fathers these days shows them very negatively as "disconnected, bumbling and incompetent."  Our daddy is none of those things.  As most of the dads who the article asked described themselves, we think our dad is definitely "caring and loving."  The video of the commercial in the link was a wonderful attempt by a big company to portray dads in a more accurate way.  As my pastor has recently preached, not having caring, loving, and Christian fathers these days has actually been one of the biggest causes of the downfall of our society and the family.  Fatherhood is one of the most important of God's callings, arguably more important than motherhood.  Although God selected Mary to be the mother of Jesus, he also made a special choice in choosing Joseph to be his father.  Fathers are entrusted with the important tasks of leading and guiding their families.  Fathers also represent the image of God's love for us all.  There is a reason why the Bible and Jesus portrayed God as "Father."  If fathers fail to give this love and guidance, it can affect a child's image of God.  We can look at the past of many of the world's most notorious villains like Hitler and Stalin and find that they lacked a loving and caring father-figure in their lives.  Both disclaimed a relationship with God as well.  Of course, there is hope for children and mothers who have been abandoned by their fathers.  God is that hope!  He wants to be the loving father that your children do not know.  I know it is a very tough job performing the roles of both mother and father, but I hope that you will look to God for your comfort and hope.  He can provide the love and care that even the best earthly father can never achieve.

I fell in love with Eddie pretty quickly when we first met and started dating, but I definitely never knew how deep that love could go until the first time I saw him holding our beautiful children.  The way he looked at each of them with so much love just filled my heart to overflowing.  I have always thought he had the most beautiful daddy hands of any man I have ever seen as he holds his children.

 photo fathercollage_zpsc947c8e9.jpg
Our daddy meeting his babies for the first time.
This year, we celebrated our daddy in a pretty simple way.  We went to lunch at T.G.I.Friday's and then made a big grocery shopping trip to Super Target.  What a wonderful example of a caring father to go grocery shopping on his special day.  Of course, the boys had to wear matching outfits for some pictures too.

 photo father4_zps20ed4bff.jpg
At first, Brody just wanted to pout. 

 photo father3_zpsbef5d800.jpg
So Daddy tried to coax him into smiling with tickles. 

 photo father2_zpsa25f444c.jpg

 photo father1_zps3d399e97.jpg
Quite possibly my favorite!

 photo father5_zpsf801b5f2.jpg
Then he tried to force a real smile.  

 photo father6_zps960aa1d1.jpg
And finally, our efforts were rewarded with this. You just have to work for it a little bit with kids, but the rewards are worth it!

 photo father7_zpsa43e6051.jpg
And then, Brody got to operate the camera and take a picture of Daddy and brother with a little help from Mommy. Yes, that was the main reason for his pouting before. 

 photo father8_zps94e9526a.jpg
And then one with Mommy just to show she was present. 

One of the special things Daddy received this year was this little questionnaire from both boys.  Yep, Brody answered one too.

 photo father9_zps8d5420d8.jpg
Evan's was pretty accurate and well-written, of course.

 photo father10_zps500a2878.jpg
But oh the lessons we learned from Brody.  Apparently, when you ask a 3 year old a question about others, they are only capable of answering about themselves.  Young children are truly "self-centered" and only focused on themselves.  Daddy is 3.  Daddy is a doggy because he was watching Mickey on TV and saw Pluto.  Everything these days is blue...Brody's favorite color.  I do not know where chicken leg came from, but it cracked me up.  I think it was because he had eaten one the day before.  For the last one, he actually said Mommy and "Edah" but I had to coax him to add the me.  Haha!

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!  I hope you truly know how much we all love you!

 photo nametab_zps32a557cc.jpg

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate Eddie! I love Brody's paper. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that your favourite picture of Eddie and his boys is also mine! Although the last one you took is pretty amazing too.

    Watching Dave with our kids makes me fall in love with him even more so I get how you feel about Eddie as a dad.

    Also, Rachel LOVES taking pictures with our camera these days. It's a bit of a pain, as I'm sure you well know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen for caring and connected daddies. I always say that the absolute only thing that Michael didn't do for our babies was physically breast feed them. He did everything else that I did. And not because I made him, because he wanted to.

    Sounds like you all had a great day. The pictures came out beautifully. I was going to do one of those q and a sheets too, but totally forgot. Next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails