Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Truth About NC's Amendment One!

As a citizen of the state of NC and a law student in the state, I am so thankful that someone finally posted an educated analysis of this proposed amendment.  Yes, I do support the amendment!  As a Christian, I hold the biblical principles of marriage in very high regard.  The family unit is the most crucial element in civilized society, and it is quickly going the way of the dinosaurs!  "Marriages" are shams these days and people enter them for no other reason than as a business tool or relationship so they can reap the benefits of everything from health insurance to retirement benefits.  Marriage is supposed to be the building block of the family.  It is supposed to be a man and woman who are brought together before God to share a life together and build a family and raise children as God intended.  He established this basic unit when he created the first man and woman.  He destroyed cities in Bible times who did not uphold His righteous principles and allowed people to have numerous partners and same-sex relationships.  I know I will probably be ridiculed and bashed as a "hater" for these statements, but these are my beliefs, and I will stand my ground for them.  You expect me to swallow your lifestyle choices and accept them as "right."  You can make your choice to live your life however you see fit but don't expect me to sit back and teach my children that you are living a righteous life before God.  God will be the judge, and it is my responsibility as a parent to teach my children to live according to His principles.

For all those who are interested in reading what Amendment One is really intended to do and what it will do based on correct NC law, please read this article:  



Separation of Church and State Argument

To those who would argue that the proposed amendment violates the Constitutional provision of separation of church and state, you could say the same about many laws on the books.  The truth is you are distorting the Constitution.  Our forefathers drafted the Constitutional provision which actually states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...."  The separation of church and state provision was established to protect our basic right to worship as we choose from being impeded by the government. To be honest, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of separation anymore.  It cannot be disputed that this country was founded on the basic principles of Christianity.   These days, I feel like as a Christian, I am the one whose basic rights (like freedom of religion and freedom of speech) are being stepped on.  I am the one who is told to keep my religious views in the closet or inside the church and that my children and I cannot pray in public or in schools. 

Argument That I Am Biased and Prejudiced

Some will say that my support for the amendment proves that I am prejudiced and that I am actually the sinner because I am violating the Bible’s most important rule to love others.  I’ll be the first to admit that I am a sinner.  The Bible says “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”  Only God is holy.  I am not holier than my neighbor, whether he or she be heterosexual or homosexual or whether he or she chooses to cohabitate before marriage.  But I have accepted Jesus as my savior and asked for His forgiveness for my sins, and I try to live each day by His commandments.  I have friends and loved ones who are homosexual.  Do I love them any less?  Absolutely not.  I don’t want to judge them either.  That is not my place.  I will not interfere with their lifestyle choice, but I cannot agree to recognize a marriage that I do believe is in violation of God’s rules.  Marriage is an institution of God!

Do I think all citizens deserve fair and equal protections under the law?

Absolutely.  Do I think they need to be allowed to marry to obtain this?  No.  In North Carolina, there are legal ways that citizens can obtain protections under the law.  If an unmarried couple or a homosexual couple are raising a child, I suggest that whether this amendment passes or not, they seek the advice of a lawyer.  As of now, an illegitimate child may not inherit automatically from his or her father despite that father’s support during his lifetime.  The father MUST file appropriate documents with the court to legitimize that child.  Also, if a partner in a homosexual relationship has a biological or adopted child that the couple is raising, the other partner would not automatically get custody of that child if the legal parent died.  My “nonlegal” advice (I am not a lawyer yet) is that the partners seek the advice of an attorney and prepare appropriate estate planning documents naming a guardian for the child.   



Any negative comments will be promptly deleted so don't even bother!  This is my personal blog, and I am exercising my Constitutional right to freedom of speech!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails