Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Baby Update

This whole pregnancy I have been expecting and planning to have a similar birth experience as my first.  I know, I know, all pregnancies are different...I hear this every time I go to the doctor and explain my concerns.  But really, I am getting prepared for that "I told ya so" real soon!  With Evan, every visit that last month was a little disappointing as I kept being told "no change" because I never dilated past a centimeter on my own.  This was very depressing at that 40 week check up.  On Friday of last week, I had an ultrasound to check baby's size and position.  He is in position to launch and seems to be measuring a good size.  The doctor "guesstimated" that he weighed 8 and 1/2 lbs., and I just laughed.  I really don't expect that big of a baby.  They thought Evan was in the 7 lb. range, and he only weighed 6 lbs. 4 oz.  Genetics seems to rule that my brother and I have small babies.  All of his have been under 7 lbs. too.  But I am prepared for a 7 pounder so we'll see.  I am pretty sure he is bigger than Evan was because I have horrible stretch marks this time...ugh!  Anyway, where was I?  Oh yeah, at the Friday appointment, I was again disappointed that I had not progressed any more although I expected as much.  The doctor wouldn't make any decisions about inducing until the official 39 week mark so I scheduled a follow up appointment for Monday.  The female doctor I saw on Monday was understanding and did think I would need help dilating to get labor started so she agreed to put me on the schedule for Monday the 25th to start the dilation medication first.  I was very happy about that because it was what I hoped they would do, and I hadn't received any positive feedback on this issue the whole pregnancy.  It seems like this is not a common method of inducement, but it doesn't make sense to me to give someone a contraction-inducing medication like pitocin if they aren't dilated.  I spent an entire day in the hospital with Evan on pitocin without any progress occurring, and I wanted to avoid that scenario this time.  I am hopeful that the cervidil will work its magic and that I won't even need pitocin at all.  Then, I will get my "I told ya so!"  We expect that Baby Brody will arrive sometime on the evening of April 25th or on Tuesday, April 26th at the latest.  We are so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails