Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Where Have I Been?

I realize this is a lame post about nothing.  I have been on a bit of a blogging break since wrapping up my posts about Christmas and 2013.  2014 has gotten off to a slow start, and I am actually thankful for that.  We are just getting back into the routine of work and school lately which keeps us busy enough.  There are constantly things happening, some good and some bad, and life just continues despite our best efforts to slow things down.  Here is a little summary of what is going on with us all:  

Eddie:  I guess he could do a better job typing up this one.  He is back at work and still doing a wonderful job caring for us all.  He gets the boys up in the mornings and ready for school, prepares their breakfasts and packs lunches, and gets them off to school.  Yes, he does the majority of these daily tasks as I am not a morning person.  He gets home before me in the evenings and proceeds to cook dinner except on Tuesday nights when Evan has basketball practice, and we grab a bite to eat somewhere after practice.  This wonderful and amazing man also celebrated his 36th birthday last Tuesday by taking his son to basketball practice, picking up his own cupcakes, and having a late dinner with all of us and the kids at McAlister's Deli (kids eat free on Tuesday nights so it just makes sense to go there after basketball practice).  I really need to plan something extra special to celebrate his birthday.  Sigh. He has also embarked with me on our joint resolution to get healthier by being my workout partner in the mornings (when he can drag me out of bed...haha!) and by attempting to eat healthier.  

Me:  I have been getting home around 6:30 most nights, and I hate driving home in the dark.  Most of our evenings involve eating dinner, getting the kids bathed, and then maybe cuddling on the couch or our bed and watching a television show or reading a story before bedtime.  It has been pretty chilly most nights, and our upstairs is warmer than our downstairs (our house only has one heating unit to heat upstairs and down and hot air rises, of course) so we spend a lot of our evenings upstairs where it is warmer.  Unfortunately, our bed is too comfortable, and I get sleepy pretty early so my evenings are pretty short.  On Friday nights and the weekends, we try to make up for lost time during the week spending time together.  I have also been reading a lot lately as I am about halfway through one of the books I wanted to read for a while now (The Atlantis Plague which is the sequel to The Atlantis Gene which are the first two books by a new author that I discovered last year).  I am also attempting the pursuit of the healthier lifestyle.  We have been trying to eat healthier food options cutting out as much processed food and yucky additives while eating more fresh fruits and veggies.  We purchased a juicer as a late Christmas present and are attempting making our own juices (primarily green juices to help us get some extra green goodness into our diets).  I just need some extra motivation to stay on top of these goals and mostly need to cut back on my favorite beverage, sweet tea.  Haha!  Anyway, as I stated, this is the most boring post ever as nothing really exciting is happening although I think that will likely change all too soon.  

Evan:  Evan is back to school and loving it although his beloved teacher did not return to school after the Christmas break, and his school is seeking a replacement teacher for his class.  One of the students' moms is actually their substitute so I feel confident they are in good hands, but we are concerned about the long term plans for his class.  Before Christmas, I knew I wanted to work on getting Evan reading some books that he could truly enjoy now that he is reading so well.  He was still bringing home little short books that he would read quickly but didn't really seem to get a whole lot of enjoyment out of.  Once he got his Christmas present (his very own Kindle Fire), I purchased the first books in the Magic Treehouse series for him to begin reading.  They are early chapter books and are filled with wonderful adventures that take children to neat places and periods in history.  He loves them so much and has already read the first 10 books.  At this rate, we'll be looking for a new series in another couple of months (there are 51 books in this series).  Evan is very self-motivated so now that he has books he loves reading, I really don't even have to encourage him to do so.  He just wants to read now all the time.  I am positive he has logged in more reading time than screen time in the last few weeks so that makes me very happy.  Evan has also been playing basketball for a local church league.  He scored his first goal in the second game of his life so we were pretty proud.  We'll share more on that soon.  

Brody:  I don't know where to begin with this little man.  He is just growing and changing every day.  He is getting very sharp, and we love hearing him talk more and more.  We can understand nearly everything he says these days as he puts together coherent sentences more and more.  "I eat," "I help," "I want car," "I want juice," "I poop," "Mommy, look," "Daddy, sit," "It's my turn!" (usually said when he wants the kindle or phone, or "tone" as he calls it, someone else has), "I want sweet tea" (yes, he is addicted too!), "There's a tree!" (said excitedly as he points to every tree he sees including all the Christmas trees during the holiday season.  We might have another forester in the making.  Haha!), etc.  He likes to tell us to sit beside him or sit in our places in the car when we are going somewhere.  He likes to show us things, especially his "toot toots" or "tucks" and "cars" he sees out the window.  I think we also discovered that his favorite color is blue.  I love that he is responding so well to our questions now and just have the best time carrying on little conversations with him.  I feel like I am finally getting a real peek at his fun little personality.  I think he has also decided that his favorite Chuggington character is "Puffer Pete" as he loves saying his name.  He is still singing his favorite tune from Christmas, Little Drummer Boy.  Mostly, he likes singing the "Pa Rum Pa Pum Pum" parts.  I also discovered that someone lets him listen to "What does the fox say" which I had never even listened to until last night (I know I am a bit behind, but it sounded so stupid that I was not even remotely interested in checking it out but my curiosity got the better of me.  I was rewarded with hearing the dumbest song I have ever heard in my life so thanks a lot for that, people.  Haha!).  Brody heard it and immediately started dancing and even "sang" some of the animal "sounds" from the song.  No, I was not really proud.  I blame the nanny.  

So anyway, we are all still here and doing well.  Since no post can be complete without a few pictures, here are just a few that I have taken on my phone recently.       

Brody wanted Mommy to give him a new hairdo.  Ha!

The boys shared some nice relaxing days after Christmas before returning to their school schedules.  Brody was enjoying cuddling up on his big brother as I watched from my desk at work using our "nanny cam."  

We ate lunch this Saturday at a cute little place next to the railroad tracks where our city's light rail train passes by frequently carrying passengers to and from the center city area.  Brody would have loved to be in this picture as he loves watching the trains, but he had already been put into his car seat when the train was coming by.  

The boys liked this British looking phone booth outside the English themed pub restaurant where we ate lunch.  I wish I could hop inside and take a trip to the Ministry of Magic in Harry Potter's world.  Haha! 
Sorry I stole some of your precious time in reading this completely pointless post.  I'll try to put together something more meaningful soon.

5 comments:

  1. I love getting updates on your family and I didn't think it was boring at all. Evan and Payton both loved the Magic Treehouse books. I enjoyed reading along with them. Jason showed me the video to What Does the Fox say on Halloween. I felt like I wasted two minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a juicer, too! You will have to share some recipes here on the blog. I'm always looking for tasty ones. And I was happy to read this post :) I like reading about people's every day lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah- totally not a pointless post. I really feel caught up on what you guys have been doing. Blogging is so funny like that. Sometimes there is SO MUCH to talk about that it is overwhelming to think about getting it all into a bunch of posts. And sometimes absolutely nothing has happened that you think anybody would care about.

    We have read the first 27 Magic Tree House books. I'll have to look into getting the rest on the kindle. I never even considered doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason your blog isn't showing up in my Blogger feed until days later. According to it, you only posted this like fifteen minutes ago which is ridiculous since it seems like you posted it last week. Boo.

    I have also found that I've had a hard time finding things to blog about in 2014.

    Eddie just sounds like such a good husband and father and like such a support to you Sherry. I'm so thankful you have a good man in your life.

    I can totally relate to short evenings. Usually, Dave gets home, we eat supper, we do one or two things (tonight it was changing bedding and putting laundry away) and then it's time to get the kids to bed. By the time they're asleep all I want to do is crawl into bed, maybe read a bit, and go to sleep myself. blah.

    I've been thinking about getting a juicer. Between you and Tracy you almost have me convinced. Plus my parents have one so I've seen them in action!

    And this is NOT the most boring post ever. It is sooooo good to hear from you.

    I will pray that a good teacher for Evan's class appears soon. And it is great to hear that he is loving reading. Some people suggested introducing Sam to Magic Treehouse but I read the first one and they still seemed a little scary for him so we'll wait a bit on that.

    It is AWESOME to hear that Brody is starting to talk a lot more. I also felt like Rachel's personality came out even more once she could express herself.

    I didn't know you could use a nanny cam at home. I thought only preschools had them. That is awesome!

    And again, DO NOT apologize for your post. It wasn't pointless or boring. Thinking of, and praying for, you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails