Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Saying Goodbye to a Beloved Friend

Well, if you have never loved and nurtured a pet for 14 years, you may not understand this post.  I was heartbroken when I came home tonight to the sadness.  My wonderful husband and son met me at the door to break the news to me.  My beautiful little black-haired poodle named Jingles was more than just a pet...he was a dear friend who gave as much to me as I ever gave to him.  In recent years, I knew that his life was not as exciting.  He had seemingly lost most of his vision and hearing abilities, but he did not seem to be in pain.  He ate his favorite foods well...mostly his dog food but occasionally he got special treats like chicken nuggets and ice cream!  He hated his bathtime, but he loved being clean.  We shared so many happy memories.  I remember how I hated to leave him when I went to college and how my parents said he would sit in my room looking sad while I was gone.  That was love! 

Anyway, he spent a wonderful weekend with his grandparents and family that loved him while we were at the beach.  He came home to spend his last night and day in the comfort and familiarity of his home.  He ate his last meal, "played" outside tonight with his daddy and brother, and went to rest in his little bed.  His brother even covered him with his blanket that he has had since he was a puppy so he "wouldn't get cold."  I am thankful that he was loved by his family before he passed away.  He didn't cry out and seemed to just pass away peacefully.  We think he was just tired and his heart stopped.  I am sure I will still shed tears for my sweet little friend who I can honestly say never hurt anyone.  His grandparents, Aunts, Uncle, and cousins will all miss him, I know, but his mommy will always keep a piece of him in her heart!  I love you, my little Jingle boy! 

Photobucket
My Beautiful Baby


Photobucket
One of his favorite past times was always sleeping! 


Photobucket
He loved his little bed!


Photobucket
He had to ride in his special seat in the car where he would be safe!  I am thankful that on his last car ride I snuck him out to give him some special cuddle time!


Photobucket
He loved his Mommy best of all!


Photobucket
Mommy always tried to make his birthday, November 14th, a little special.  Here, he is wearing the special birthday hat she made him and eating his favorite treat, ice cream!


Photobucket
On his last birthday, Mommy actually lit a candle and put it on his chicken nuggets for him! 


Photobucket
For one of our first family Christmases, I made this our Christmas card picture. 


Photobucket
This Christmas, I am glad I took special pictures of him.


Photobucket
I even bought him this special Christmas sweater!


Photobucket
And put a special treat in his stocking!


Photobucket
Me and my baby on one of his only trips to the beach.  He really didn't like getting dirty!


Dear Jingles,

I love you more than you could ever know!  Thank you for staying with me and giving me so much! 

Love always and forever,

Your Mommy


2 comments:

  1. OHhhh, I am so sorry to hear of this! :( I will be distraught if and when my Abby is no longer with us. Prayers for you tonight friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! I know he lived a long life, but it is still hard. I just wish I had been here with him!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love! Your comments make me happy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails